Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Snicker of Magic

Words and Libraries and Ice Cream and Magic!?!  This book SCREAMS Sarah!  I am absolutely head over heels for A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd.



Twelve-year old Felicity Pickle collects words.  She can see them, and each word has its own distinct look.  One word has eluded her, though: home.  When Felicity, her mother, and her sister, pull into Midnight Gulch she feels it may be a place for new beginnings, and maybe even a new friend.  That's because there's magic in the history of Midnight Gulch, and Felicity has the answer to bringing that magic back!

Oh goodness- I love words.  LOVE words.  And therefore, I LOVED this book.  Felicity Pickle is absolutely charming.  Any introverted lover of words will absolutely connect with her, especially those who have trouble expressing themselves aloud...in public.

The relationships between family, friends, and old/new romances serve as the backdrop of the magical town of Midnight Gulch. I was as anxious to get to the bottom of the missing magic as Felicity was, and fell in love with the townspeople along the way.

I would recommend this to everyone.  There are wholesome characters, it promotes kindness, builds vocabulary...and ICE CREAM!  This is something I would love to have my kids read (when I have them). 

Lloyd's faith is written into the book, but in a very refreshing way.  It isn't preachy-in-your-face Christian fiction.  In fact, it's so subtle one might miss it (except now I've pointed it out to you).  I am really impressed with her writing it in a way that wouldn't make a reader uncomfortable.

Definitely a spindiddly, heart-warming middle-grade read!  I can't wait to see what other books she has up her sleeve!





A Snicker of Magic is published by Scholastic.  Review copy graciously provided by the publisher.
Release Date: 02.25.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment